Fire Prevention & Security Ofc
Job Posting Title
Fire Prevention & Security Ofc
650 DEPARTMENT OF VETERANS AFFAIRS
Lawton/Ft. Sill Veterans Center
Job Posting End Date (Continuous if Blank)
Note: Applications will be accepted until 11:59 PM on the day prior to the posting end date above.
Estimated Appointment End Date (Continuous if Blank)
Hourly $ 15.11
Positions in this job family are assigned responsibilities at a state facility or institution involving the inspection of buildings and grounds for elimination of fire hazards, enforcement of laws, rules and regulations and providing security against acts of terrorism for state facilities, employees and the public. This may include patrolling assigned premises to identify and correct fire hazards, providing assistance to employees or visitors, directing traffic and performing other duties related to the protection of state property, employees, visitors and others. Some positions may be primarily responsible for fire prevention activities and have additional responsibilities assigned for assisting in firefighting activities.
- Patrols and inspects buildings and grounds, within an assigned area, to detect and eliminate fire hazards and discourage vandalism.
- Interprets and enforces rules and regulations; safeguards life and property at state facilities or institutions and surrounding grounds.
- Responds to fire alarms and reports irregular activities; apprehends or expels violators; answers inquiries and gives directions to employees and the general public.
- Ventilates buildings to remove heat, smoke and gases; makes forced entries to rescue persons during fires or other emergencies.
- Checks authorized persons in or out of buildings and grounds area and assures that unauthorized persons are denied access; checks to see that doors and windows are secure and lights are out; directs traffic in the vicinity of state facilities and parking areas.
- Prepares oral and written reports of activities and incidents.
This is the leadership level where employees are assigned responsibilities involving the supervision of other officers in the performance of their duties.
Education and Experience
Education and Experience requirements at this level consist of a basic security and/or firefighter's course and four years of experience in security or fire prevention and protection work. plus one additional year of qualifying experience; OR eighteen months of experience in security work and a current licensure as an armed security guard through the Council of Law Enforcement Education and Training (CLEET).
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Competencies
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities required at this level include knowledge of general law enforcement principles and practices; of state and federal laws, rules and regulations related to public safety and criminal conduct; of methods and techniques used in conducting investigations; of emergency response policies and procedures; and of supervisory principles and practices.
Applicants must be willing and able to fulfill all job-related travel normally associated with this position. ## Some positions may require peace officer certification in accordance with the training and screening requirements of the Department of Corrections pursuant to 57 O.S. Supp.1988, Section 510 (2) (a-g). ## Some positions at the Department of Public Safety will require graduation from the Council on Law Enforcement Education and Training Academy (CLEET) with certification as an "Armed Security Guard." ## Upon a conditional offer of employment, Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services applicants must submit to a physical examination and shall meet the physical examination requirements of occasionally lifting/carrying 60 pounds and able to push and pull a maximum force of 30 pounds.Some agencies may have determined positions in this job family to be safety sensitive as defined by63 O.S. § 427.8.
Additional Job Description
Equal Opportunity Employment
The State of Oklahoma is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of genetic information, race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, or disability.
Current State of Oklahoma employees must apply for open positions through their Workday account. Go to Careers app on WD home screen>Click on 'Find Jobs-Internal State of Oklahoma'.