Geospatial Health Data Analyst
Job Posting Title
Geospatial Health Data Analyst
340 OKLAHOMA STATE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH
340 Center for Health Statistics
Job Posting End Date (Continuous if Blank)
Note: Applications will be accepted until 11:59 PM on the day prior to the posting end date above.
Estimated Appointment End Date (Continuous if Blank)
The annual salary is up to $83,600.00 based on education and experience.
Location: 123 Robert S Kerr OKC, OK 73012
Full Time /Part Time: Full Time
Work Schedule: Monday-Friday
Primary Hours: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Why you'll love it here!
RESPECT. COLLABORATION. SERVICE. The Oklahoma State Department of Health (OSDH) is committed to leading Oklahoma to prosperity through health. Our mission is to protect and promote health, prevent disease and injury, and cultivate conditions by which Oklahomans can thrive. Check out why were are passionate about public health and believe it is the career for you!!! What is Public Health?
Oh yeah, did we mention perks? We know that benefits matter and that is why we offer a competitive benefits package for all eligible employees.
- Generous state paid benefit allowance to help cover insurance premiums.
- A wide choice of insurance plans with no pre-existing condition exclusions or limitations.
- Flexible spending accounts for health care expenses and/or dependent care.
- Retirement Savings Plan with a generous match.
- 15 days of vacation and 15 days of sick leave the first year for full time employees.
- 11 paid holidays a year.
- Student Loan repayment options & tuition reimbursement.
- Employee discounts with a variety of companies and venders.
- Longevity Bonus for years of service
The Geospatial Health Data Analyst will primarily be responsible for conducting spatial analyses such as: disease mapping, geographic correlation studies and disease clustering/surveillance. This position would interpret, evaluate and design public health spatial research projects in collaboration with internal and external partners meeting geospatial data needs. The Geospatial Data Analyst will also conduct small-area studies using data sources (BRFSS, Cancer Registry, Vital Statistics, and Hospital Discharge) within Center for Health Statistics, providing stakeholders data visualization on Oklahoma high-need areas. He/she will demonstrate a high proficiency with ArcGIS suite acting as Oklahoma State Department of Health (OSDH) subject matter expert. The position will also be responsible for the development and maintenance of the OSDH geodatabases
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Analyze public health and geographical data to aid understanding of complex relationships between environment and health.
- Conduct spatial analyses with quality data using ArcGIS software, display data using maps, reports, charts and tables.
- Produce data visualizations of spatiotemporal and health services data.
- Investigate the environmental, social, and behavioral factors underlying geographic variations in disease rates.
- Complete individual GIS mapping projects as required and provide technical support for GIS projects created by end-users at OSDH
- Assess, coordinate, and determine GIS needs throughout the agency.
- Conduct trainings and resources on GIS to build epidemiologic capacity in mapping and spatial analyses.
- Provide technical advice and expertise for the OSDH geospatial database environment including the development and organization of databases, and assessment and implementation of related new technologies.
- Develop standards, policies and procedures for ArcGIS use.
- Represent OSDH on external committees, work groups, and contribute spatial epidemiologic data to statewide clearinghouse.
- Demonstrates knowledge of and supports mission, vision, value statements, standards, policies and procedures, operating instructions, confidentiality standards, and the code of ethical behavior.
- Works effectively in team environment, participating and assisting their peers.
Minimum Qualifications: (MUST upload transcripts with application)
Requirements consist of a Master's degree in Public health (Biostatistics/Epidemiology) or related Master's level degree and three years of experience in a field involving the use of epidemiological techniques and analysis; or a doctorate in epidemiology and one year of qualifying experience; or 10 years of directly applicable experience. Proficient in ArcGIS software.
Valued Knowledge, skills and abilities
Knowledge of epidemiology methods, environmental analyses interpretation; of statistical analysis, and demography; of epidemiological or statistical software; of social and economic conditions; of current epidemiological developments and techniques; of grant writing. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others; to meet with the public and conduct public information programs; to write technical and non-technical information material; to use a personal computer and applicable software; to manipulate large databases; and to develop and implement intervention and prevention strategies as identified through data analysis.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
This position is set in an office environment and computer based. While performing the duties of the job, employees are frequently required to stand, walk, lift, and reach. Applicants must be willing to perform all job-related travel associated with this position.
Telework: This position is Hybrid and is subject to OSDH policy and supervisor's discretion.
- If education, certification or licensure is required to meet qualifications, applicants must provide documentation at the time of application .
- All applicants are subject to a background check and must be legally authorized to work in the United States without visa sponsorship.
Equal Opportunity Employment
The State of Oklahoma is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of genetic information, race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, or disability.
Current State of Oklahoma employees must apply for open positions through their Workday account. Go to Careers app on WD home screen>Click on 'Find Jobs-Internal State of Oklahoma'.