Immuno/Viro/STI General Laboratory Supervisor
Job Posting Title
Immuno/Viro/STI General Laboratory Supervisor
340 OKLAHOMA STATE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH
340 Public Health Lab Service
Job Posting End Date (Continuous if Blank)
Note: Applications will be accepted until 11:59 PM on the day prior to the posting end date above.
Estimated Appointment End Date (Continuous if Blank)
The annual salary is up to $70,000 based on education and experience.
Immuno / Viro/ STI General Laboratory Supervisor
Location : Public Health Lab/ 4615 W Lakeview
Full Time /Part Time: Full Time
Work Schedule: Monday-Friday
Primary Hours: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Why you'll love it here!
RESPECT. COLLABORATION. SERVICE. The Oklahoma State Department of Health (OSDH) is committed to leading Oklahoma to prosperity through health. Our mission is to protect and promote health, prevent disease and injury, and cultivate conditions by which Oklahomans can thrive. Check out why were are passionate about public health and believe it is the career for you!!! What is Public Health?
Oh yeah, did we mention perks?
We know that benefits matter and that is why we offer a competitive benefits package for all eligible employees.
- Generous state paid benefit allowance to help cover insurance premiums.
- A wide choice of insurance plans with no pre-existing condition exclusions or limitations.
- Flexible spending accounts for health care expenses and/or dependent care.
- Retirement Savings Plan with a generous match.
- 15 days of vacation and 15 days of sick leave the first year for full time employees.
- 11 paid holidays a year.
- Student Loan repayment options & tuition reimbursement.
- Employee discounts with a variety of companies and venders.
- Longevity Bonus for years of service
This position is responsible for assisting the laboratory directors and the microbiology technical supervisor in the oversight and management of PHL microbiology department and for the supervision of a team of microbiology laboratory scientists. Under the direction of the laboratory director and supervision of the microbiology technical supervisor, this individual provides day-to-day supervision of testing personnel and reporting of test results. In the absence of the director and microbiology technical supervisor, the microbiology general supervisor must be responsible for the proper performance of microbiology laboratory procedures and reporting of test results. They are also responsible for monitoring test analyses and specimen examinations to ensure that acceptable levels of analytic performance are maintained.
The functions within this job will vary, but may include assisting the laboratory director and microbiology technical supervisor in the following:
- Coordination of standard operations of state-wide clinical diagnostic, epidemiologic and/or analytic laboratory services for infectious disease diagnostics.
- Development and implementation of policies, procedures, budgets, and performance standards designed to ensure accurate, efficient and safe laboratory operations specific to infectious disease.
- Appraisal of needs for laboratory services and development of new laboratory tests, algorithms, and technologies accordingly.
- Coordination and integration of laboratory services with the needs and activities of other intra- and inter-agency (state and federal) programs.
- Preparation of reports that summarize laboratory activities, revenue flows, goals, accomplishments and needs.
- Cooperation with local, state and national agencies and organizations for the standardization and improvement of laboratory services.
- Provision of intra- and inter-agency training to laboratory personnel, healthcare professionals, field personnel and first responders on specimen handling procedures. Coordination of standard operations of state-wide clinical diagnostic, epidemiologic and/or laboratory service.
- Assist with laboratory personnel, including decisions for hiring, training, continuing education, competency assessment, and remediation.
- Assist with the implementation and maintenance of the PHL document control system, inventory system and provide guidance through the development and maintenance of the laboratory LIMS.
- Demonstrates knowledge of and supports mission, vision, value statements, standards, policies and procedures, operating instructions, confidentiality standards, and the code of ethical behavior.
- Works effectively in a team environment, participating and assisting their peers.
- This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Requirements at this level consist of a bachelor's degree in biological or physical sciences plus five years of experience performing clinical and/or analytic laboratory testing; or a master's degree in biological or physical sciences or a closely related field plus at least three years of clinical and/or analytic laboratory testing experience; or a doctoral degree in biological or physical sciences or a closely related field plus at least two years of clinical and/or analytic laboratory testing experience. Laboratory supervision experience in a public health, hospital, or medical research laboratory or equivalent setting preferred.
Valued Knowledge, Skills, and abilities:
Knowledge of the advanced principles of chemistry, biochemistry, immunology and/or microbiology; of chemical, biochemical, immunological, and/or microbiological laboratory techniques and procedures; of the hazards of laboratory activities and safety procedures; of principles and methods of supervision; and of the business requirements of the agency. Ability is required to manage the financial aspects of a unit, including budgeting and cost-benefit analyses; to collaborate with intra- and inter-agency programs and technical managers in decision making processes; to manage and supervise technical and/or administrative support staff to maintain effective working relationships; and to exercise initiative and independent judgment. Knowledge of laboratory principles and techniques in parasitology, serology, and/or mass spectrometry; of the organization and function of state laboratories and their role in national programs; of the principles and methods of supervision; of the state and federal laws and regulations that pertain to laboratory analysis and accreditation; and of budget preparation and revenue management. Ability is required to plan and coordinate the work of a laboratory with other services and programs within the agency and between (state and federal) agencies; to establish and maintain professional working relationships with others; and to plan staffing needs.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
This position is set in a laboratory environment. While performing the duties of the job, employees are frequently required to stand, walk, lift, and reach.
This position is not eligible for Telework and is subject to OSDH policy and supervisor's discretion.
- If education, certification or licensure is required to meet qualifications, applicants must provide documentation at the time of application.
- All applicants are subject to a background check and must be legally authorized to work in the United States without visa sponsorship.
Equal Opportunity Employment
The State of Oklahoma is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of genetic information, race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, or disability.
Current State of Oklahoma employees must apply for open positions through their Workday account. Go to Careers app on WD home screen>Click on 'Find Jobs-Internal State of Oklahoma'.