Nurse Manager I
Job Posting Title
Nurse Manager I
650 DEPARTMENT OF VETERANS AFFAIRS
Ardmore Veterans Center
Job Posting End Date (Continuous if Blank)
Note: Applications will be accepted until 11:59 PM on the day prior to the posting end date above.
Estimated Appointment End Date (Continuous if Blank)
May 05, 2023
Positions in this job family are assigned responsibilities involving the supervision and management of a staff, program, unit, facility, or statewide geographical area that provides direct or indirect health services. This includes responsibility for broad management issues in planning, organizing and integrating various functions for which responsibility is assigned and directing assigned staff in meeting the goals and objectives of the program.
- Plans, organizes and directs health services for an assigned program, unit, facility, hospital or geographical area; insures that goals, objectives and work performed are consistent with standards and that quality care is provided to patients and clients.
- Selects, mentors, motivates and directs development and evaluation of the staff; establishes and tracks quality improvement indicators and other information concerning services and care to insure that resources are available to provide quality services and on-time performance consistent with standards; may devise health related educational programs for professional and non-professional staff.
- Participates, consults and collaborates in the development of long-range plans for health care programs; may interpret and communicate agency and departmental policies and procedures; establishes areas of responsibility and assignment; develops or implements policies and procedures to insure efficient and effective delivery of health services.
- Receives, analyzes and evaluates reports and other information and coordinates quality improvement activities concerning the care of patients, equipment, environmental health and safety conditions, and other related services in improving the quality and utilization of health care.
- Develops budget estimates or other information concerning financial requirements; approves or monitors expenditures, purchases and other actions to insure compliance with budget guidelines and effective delivery of services.
Positions at this level are assigned responsibilities for performing professional nursing and supervisory functions in a state facility, hospital, clinic, school, or public health program. This may include functions such as a twenty-four hour or shift supervisor of a treatment service or specialized program in a facility, supervision of nursing services in an assigned geographical area, a hospital or facility, a supervisor of a program specialty area, or comparable responsibilities. Employees at this level are responsible for day-to-day clinical operations, staffing of the work area, and evaluation of performance of assigned staff to ensure quality of care, and may cover for the Nurse Manager II in their absence.
Education and Experience
Education and Experience requirements at this level consist of possession of a valid permanent Oklahoma license as a registered nurse as approved by the Oklahoma Board of Nursing, or Registered Nurse License recognized by the Enhanced Nurse Licensure Compact (eNLC) and three years of professional nursing experience, one year of which must have been in a supervisory capacity; or a bachelor's degree in nursing and two years of professional nursing experience, one year of which must have been in a supervisory capacity; or a master's degree and one year of professional nursing experience in a supervisory capacity.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities required at this level consist of knowledge of professional nursing theory, practices, and techniques; of expense control, and purchasing procedures; of the philosophy and objectives of the nursing department; and of the principles and practices of effective supervision. Ability is required to direct, motivate and evaluate staff; to plan and implement programs; to develop controls to monitor effectiveness of programs; to communicate effectively both orally and in writing; and to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
Some agencies may have determined positions in this job family to be safety sensitive as defined by63 O.S. § 427.8.
Additional Job Description
VISION: Vision adequate to: perform patient care and/or administer medications; observe patients; read assignments, procedures, labels, signs, dials, displays; and record data.
HEARING: Hearing adequate to: utilize stethoscope; receive reports and instructions; utilize Center communication system; and hear patient requests and alarms.
SPEECH: Speech adequate to: clearly and audibly report observations, call emergencies, and explain procedures in providing care to predominantly English speaking patients and others.
MOBILITY: Mobility adequate to: be on feet most of 8 hours with two 15 minute breaks and one 30 minute break; walk, squat, bend, and kneel; access stairs; use hands and fingers to grip and hold; use arms for reaching and extending in a full range of motion in providing personal care, grooming, feeding tasks and/or administering medication and treatments to patients; physically turn, position, ambulate, and transport patients with mechanical lift (routine care) independently or with assistance; lift and carry up to 25 pounds without assistance; and push or pull (maneuver) wheelchairs, geri chairs, carts, etc. weighing up to 500 pounds or 25 lbs. of force as measured by a Chatillon force gauge or similar device. In emergency situations must transfer patients with 2, 3, or 4 person lift technique on level surface or stairs.
ENVIRONMENT: Must be able to work with all chemicals involved in performing the essential functions of the job.
ADMINISTRATIVE DUTIES: If assigned administrative duties, must be able to sit for extended periods of time.
Equal Opportunity Employment
The State of Oklahoma is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of genetic information, race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, or disability.
Current State of Oklahoma employees must apply for open positions through their Workday account. Go to Careers app on WD home screen>Click on 'Find Jobs-Internal State of Oklahoma'.