Technical Product Owner
Job Posting Title
Technical Product Owner
340 OKLAHOMA STATE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH
340 Infectious Disease Sytems and Control
Job Posting End Date (Continuous if Blank)
Note: Applications will be accepted until 11:59 PM on the day prior to the posting end date above.
Estimated Appointment End Date (Continuous if Blank)
The annual salary is up to $75,000.00 based on education and experience.
The Technical Product Owner (TPO) is non-manager position that reports to the Systems Program Manager. This position is responsible for crafting the technical vision and roadmap for the replacement of and implementation of electronic disease surveillance and monitoring systems under the infectious disease umbrella at the Oklahoma State Department of Health. The TPO will manage product requirements, enhancements, and is accountable from the business side for the product decisions and delivery.
The TPO will work with the subject matter experts under the Oklahoma Council for Infectious Disease (OCID) to develop a technical strategy for the products assigned to ensure alignment with agency goals and works with the Acute Disease and Sexual Health and Harm Reduction teams to assure desired business outcomes are translated into requirements and actionable tasks. The TPO will work as part of a team to ensure overall user experience and satisfaction, leverage resources, drive efficiencies, and identify dependencies.
- Serve as Product Owner for information technology projects under OCID as the product expert, product evangelist to data providers, and the voice of the customer
- Serve as a liaison between stakeholders, vendors, business and OMES for problem resolution or plan initiatives
- Provide vision and direction to Agile development team and stakeholders throughout the project
- Create product user stories and adding acceptance criteria for all new development work. Oversee all functional testing for the delivered solutions or integrations and delivering a verdict on whether they meet the defined accepted criteria
- Define product features, document product requirements, and collaborate with technology teams to drive product feature implementation
- Be accountable for delivering business results through defined KPIs and agreed upon milestones
- Develop a service and product roadmap and a project resource plan
- Escalate issues, manage risks, and remove blockers
- Acquire acceptance at all necessary points and ensure required documentation is completed
- Manage vendor(s) and monitor to ensure milestones, releases, deliverables are met
- Maintain a product backlog with input from internal customers
- Own end-to-end production and create roadmaps of development projects with top tier developers and partners
- Advise on product features and liaisons with technology leadership to drive product feature implementation
- Ensure adherence to procurement processes consistent with agency and state policies
- Keep up to date on industry trends and developments
- Disaster Recovery: Develop documentation and complete testing
- Continuity Of Operations (COOP): Develop documentation and participate in agency testing
- Manage Infectious Disease User Profiles (user permissions, access, and code table settings)
- Participate in OSDH and CDC Data Modernization Planning
- Work with data providers to implement interoperability
- Make recommendations to support technical capacity and systems
- Recommend upgrades to existing systems
- Provide service, financial and value reporting; present management with analyses, reports, and informational requests
- Work effectively in team environment, participating and assisting their peers
- This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job
- Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice
Education and Experience
This position requires a bachelor's degree and (1) 5 years' experience in agile/scrum environments or (2) 5 years in complex business/technical environments or (3) an equivalent combination of education and work experience.
Preferred degree fields include but are not limited to HIMMS, Informatics, Public Health, MBA, management information systems, computer science, engineering, or mathematics.
Preferred prior working experience as a Product Owner of health and human service or similar systems for a minimum of 3 years.
Valued Knowledge, skills and abilities
- Ability to collaborate across functional teams and influence stakeholders in a matrixed environment
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (detail oriented)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to collaborate across management teams and influence stakeholders in a matrixed environment
- Knowledge of Agile methodologies
- Experience with critical thinking, problem solving, systems and workflow
- Experience with
- Data-driven decision-making
- Managing/interfacing, documenting user stories and acceptance criteria in an Agile environment
- Managing vendor relationships
- Managing business ownership of a complex product including understanding and translating technical requirements
- Technical tools such as SAS, SQL, preferred
- Good interpersonal and negotiation skills
- Well-organized and detail oriented
- Ability to make administrative/procedural decisions and judgments
- Ability to perform complex tasks and to prioritize multiple projects
Physical Demands and Work Environment
Work is typically performed in an office setting with a climate -controlled settings and exposure to moderate noise level. While performing the duties of the job, employee is required to talk, stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms. This position requires long period of sitting and daily use of computer and phone. Occasional travel may be required.
Equal Opportunity Employment
The State of Oklahoma is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of genetic information, race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, or disability.
Current State of Oklahoma employees must apply for open positions through their Workday account. Go to Careers app on WD home screen>Click on 'Find Jobs-Internal State of Oklahoma'.